Securing a good AIR in GATE exam is in itself a great achievement. How?
Let’s look at the qualification rate for Gate exam from last 4 years:
- Historical qualified/pass rate for GATE remains at 15-17%
- GATE 2017 -16%
- GATE 2016 – 16. 53%
- GATE 2015 – 15.03%
- GATE 2014 – 16.84%
Source – http://gate.iitg.ac.in/
So, if you have cleared the exam, you are already among the top 17% all over the country.
Now, what can you get from a good rank in GATE?
GATE opens many possibilities (No pun intended) for your future. Whether you want to study further, get a job with handsome salary or research with the renowned organisations of the country.
Let me elaborate the options for you:
- Further education
- One of the most common future options for a person after clearing GATE is to study further and pursue Postgraduate from a good college.
- You can choose from multiple courses from a college based on your GATE rank, specialization area and interest. The students having good ranks can easily pursue M-Tech or ME in the IITs (The temple for engineers), NITs or IISc. This can make you have a greater understanding of your subject and open great job possibilities in future. Usually, the premier institutes accept AIR up 1500. Other private colleges also accept students with AIR in
- There is also the great scope of research opportunities available for students clearing GATE as the ISRO and DRDO take students for research based on the GATE ranks. Apart from this, completing a postgraduate also allows you to pursue a PhD programme in prestigious colleges.
- Some non-Indian universities like the National University of Singapore (NUS), Nanyang Technological University in Singapore (NTU) and some technical universities in Germany have also recognised GATE score as a criterion for admissions in their Masters and PhD
- JOBS through GATE
- Through campus placement
Many students opt for M-Tech, ME and MS after clearing GATES, and take admission in top engineering Institute. Their vast knowledge and hard work are appreciated with a good job placement in major companies like Google, Samsung, Facebook and several other companies. They offer high salary packages as well as facilities.
- Teaching Jobs
A student who has cleared GATE knows how to plan and execute those plans. He will understand what his juniors who are aspiring for the same thing feel. Maybe that is the reason educational institutes like Allen, Resonance and other institutes which prepare students for competitive exams hire them. Colleges recruit postgraduate engineers from campuses. Here you can teach young minds as well as get high salaries.
- Jobs in private sectors
Even though post-graduate engineers who have cleared GATE don’t usually prefer private sector due to the lack of job security, that doesn’t mean that you cannot build a great career here. You will still be preferred more than a student from B. Tech or normal M.Tech. Apart from that, you have more chance to excel as you have a vast knowledge and can plan better than the rest.
- Jobs in Public sectors:
Since the time PSUs have announced that candidates need to clear GATE to get a job, their intakes have increased as well as their work efficiency. The reason GATE is attempted by more than 9 lakh students per year is because two to three thousand jobs in the Public sectors are filled through GATE. After hiring, they provide training and learning opportunities to their employees. The most attractive part of the job in Public sector is the job security and the handsome salary which is no less than the top private sectors.
Indian Oil Corporation was the first PSU which successfully tested out this system. Then two years later, National Thermal Power Corporation, Bharat Heavy Electricals, Bharat Electronics & Power Grid Corporation of India have implemented this process.
The options do not end here. GATE qualification can get you a scholarship and financial assistance to help you have a smooth ride during you Masters Education. IITs offer a stipend of Rs.12,400 /- per month of 2 years. Some colleges let you do an integrated Masters plus doctoral programme, directly after your graduation along with a stipend of Rs. 28,000. Apart from scholarships, you can also use the rank to seek research fellowship in CSIR laboratories. There are also research related openings in many organisations.
Apart from these benefits, a good AIR in GATE reveals how much you are capable of understanding huge concepts and applying it in problem-solving. It reveals your capability of execution of the plan and gives you great confidence.
There are wide options to learn, to earn, you can choose any based on your interest.